Monday, April 6, 2009

Max & Ruby... Ruby & Max...

The big day arrived. Yesterday was Max & Ruby day!

I went to incredible lengths to get these tickets! There was only one show originally scheduled for 1:30 PM, and it sold out in less two hours, but after numerous phone calls, tens of minutes spent on hold, strategizing my call time, and blind luck I managed to get tickets for Kyle, Natalie and I, and two of our very best friends to an 4 PM performance that was added when the powers that be could see that the children of St. John's either LOVE Max & Ruby or are simply desperate for something to do on a Sunday afternoon. I think it's a little of both.

I know Kyle and Natalie definitely love Max & Ruby. It's the one show we have to be really careful they not catch a glimpse of before they head upstairs for their baths in the evening or we have to let them stay up to watch the whole thing. They couldn't wait to see Max and Ruby and Miss Spider onstage. We'd been to see Sesame Street Live in Houston last year right before Brandon was born, so expectations were high.

Unfortunately, this was no Sesame Street Live. The entire show was maybe an hour long, we saw more of Miss Spider than anything else, the audio was poor, the Bananas in Pajamas were like an intermission because all of the kids in the entire auditorium lost interest while they were onstage, I still have no idea what The Fairly Oddparents were doing, and Max was onstage for about 5 minutes while Ruby was on for about 10. Disappointing. I could tell Kyle was bored by the whole thing even though he'll swear he had a good time. Natalie really enjoyed herself but wished she'd seen more Max and Ruby.

We still had a good time with our friends, and we all went to dinner at East Side Mario's afterwards, so it was a fun afternoon, but those tickets were not worth $30 a pop and all the effort it took to buy them! $10 maybe, but not $30. Rip-off. I find kids' shows to be torturous even when they're well-done, but this was really bad. So bad that I was glad the show was so short--even if it meant I paid about $9/minute for Max & Ruby--mostly Ruby.

No comments: