Monday, April 13, 2009

Icebergs? Check!

There are three things I'm determined to see while we're living in Newfoundland: moose, whales, and icebergs. My friends have all seen each of these, but I had yet to see any of them until Saturday. I was sitting at my computer, minding everyone else's business via Facebook, when I saw a friend's status update saying she was at Cape Spear looking at icebergs. That's right--iceberg season has arrived in Newfoundland! There have been quite a few iceberg sightings in the last couple of weeks, but I hadn't gotten a chance yet to drive around with the kids tormenting each other from their carseats to look for these icebergs.

Cape Spear is the Eastern most point in all of North America and a prime location for viewing icebergs. The icebergs we see here in Newfoundland travel here from Greenland via the Labrador current. The common path these icebergs take is often referred to as Iceberg Alley, and we're situated right along Iceberg Alley here in St. John's. There's even a website devoted to tracking the icebergs in the area: http://www.icebergfinder.com/.

When I heard there were icebergs (that's right, icebergs--plural icebergs) to be seen from Cape Spear I decided it was time to load everyone in the car to go forth and take pictures. We drove out to Cape Spear, climbed all the way to the top of the hill to the lighthouse, and there before us was a beautiful, enormous iceberg. Further South there were even more, smaller icebergs. The pictures don't do them justice, but they were amazing. I was filled with awe to be standing at the very edge of the continent, staring at these icebergs from Greenland.

Now, to find a moose.


1 comment:

Staci said...

I love the header picture. That was a great day to see icebergs too.