Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cautiously optimistic

The kids and I ventured out to a playground yesterday afternoon for the first time since October, and I have to say that it was wonderful. The temperature was still only about 55F, and the wind was chilly, but my definition of comfortable has definitely changed since moving to Canada. I'd say it was comfortable out there this afternoon. Had this been eight months ago I would have stated that comfortable is any day that's slightly overcast and between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit--in Houston the weather doesn't get any better than that. Now comfortable is anything between 55 and 75F, regardless of precipitation, visibility, cloud cover, or anything else but the wind--please, please, no wind.

Our last measurable snowfall was on April 14th, and I know that was only nine days ago, but this time I feel like Spring has arrived for real. I don't think we're being faked out by winter again. I mean, it's almost May. It wouldn't dare to snow in freaking May, would it? I'm probably jinxing myself by just asking the question. But it better not snow in May.

The weather is supposed to be gorgeous this weekend, and I can't wait. I'm already plotting our attack on the weekend, and Shaun is assembling our brand new barbecue grill. Spring and Summer don't last long around here, so you have to jump right on them as soon as you get a hint of nice weather. And the days become extra long just to give you more time to enjoy the nice weather. It'll be interesting to see just how long the days are when we finally get to June since it's already light out when the kids wake us all up at 6:30 in the morning, and it stays light out until about 8 PM.

I woke up to a breezy 50F this morning, the sun is shining, and I'm cautiously optimistic that Spring is here to stay and the snow is gone until at least October. Fingers crossed. I'm going to ignore the fact that the forecast calls for rain later. I don't care--it can rain. At least it shouldn't be turning to snow at these temperatures. And if it does I'm just going to drag myself to my room, curl up under the covers of my bed, and go to sleep until Spring finally gets here. Just wake me up when it's warm, Shaun.

No comments: