Sunday, March 8, 2009

The preschool check-up

Here in Newfoundland well-child check-ups only occur, as far as I know, when a child is 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, and 4 years old. I called in November to make an appointment for Kyle's 4 year check-up, which they refer to as the 'preschool check-up', and they couldn't get him in until this week. That's right--that's a 4-month wait--and it's totally typical because the healthcare system here is entirely overloaded. I won't even tell you what kind of crazy-lady looks I get every time I try to make an appointment for a specific time slot versus whatever appointment time (generally smack-dab in the middle of naptime) they try to assign me.

Check-ups aren't done by a family doctor, they're done by public health nurses. If you have totally healthy children they may never see an actual doctor. Kyle and Natalie have met our family doctor but neither one has ever been to see her for medical reasons. In fact, Natalie hasn't even seen a public health nurse and won't for another year. It seems to me that by not having check-ups between the ages of 18 months and 4 years the healthcare system is missing out on a critical window of opportunity for early intervention if a child happens to have developmental delays.

I figured Kyle's check-up would be the standard height, weight, and immunizations, so I was unprepared for the battery of tests they administered to my son.

"Stack these blocks into a tower. Count out five blocks for me. Can you show me the red block? Do you know what a desk is?" And my personal favorite, "Do you know what a banana is?" To which my smart-ass of a son replied, "Nope. I don't know what a banana is." The nurse asked, "You don't know what a banana is? Do you eat a banana?" Kyle then said, "Nope. I drink my bananas." While this exchange occurred I sat quietly to one side, trying to entertain Brandon, rolling my eyes.

The public health nurse also asked Kyle to stand up and hop over a piece of paper, gave him an vision exam which he passed with flying colors, and then she asked him to stand on one leg (all while wearing his enormous snow boots). Kyle said, "I don't want to stand on one leg! I'll fall over!" Smart kid. This alone tells me he's intelligent--even if he'll swear to a nurse he doesn't know what a banana is.

The nurse also performed a hearing test, and Kyle didn't hear one of the sounds on its lowest setting in his left ear, so the nurse said she'd write up a referral to an audiologist. She then said there'd probably be a wait to get in to see the audiologist, but it wouldn't be too bad, and they'd probably even be able to get him in before he goes to Kindergarten. In September.

I'm really not concerned. I know Kyle's development is totally normal, and I'm fairly certain the child hears every last thing I mutter under my breath. I sometimes wish his hearing wasn't so good. But, really, a wait until September for a hearing test with an audiologist? A four-month wait just for a well-child check-up? I had to wait three months to get in to see a trained OB/Gyn a few months ago. And a friend was going to have to wait a year to get her daughter in to see a pediatric opthalmologist, so she flew to Houston instead.

Free healthcare is great and all, but could it be a little more timely, please? And so far our family doctor has been great, but I'm a little hesitant about this system where doctors and nurses act like they're doing me a favor by seeing me or my kids versus providing a service that I pay for.

2 comments:

Staci said...

A freakin men! Don't forget the family dr who treats the pregnant woman until she is about a month away from giving birth.

mommompoppop said...

Pop-pop says, "That's my boy!!!"