Monday, March 2, 2009

Jet lagged

I'm back! Sort of. Today I'm finding myself in that dimension between real life and vacation. You know what I'm talking about. That first day home when you just sit around, looking at the laundry to be done, debating whether or not it's worth it to get the kids out of jammies and into clothes, wondering if you really need to take a shower, relaxed and relieved to be home but overwhelmed by the effort it's going to take to put everything away.

We're also suffering from a little bit of jet lag today. I know an hour and a half isn't much of a time difference to speak of, but it makes a big difference to the kids. Twice a year when we have to 'spring forward' or 'fall back' I want to kill myself, so doing it twice over the course of one week seems like insanity. And, if I'm being totally honest, I'm just as bad as the kids. I don't handle time change well. Ask Shaun. He'll tell you what it was like to travel with me from Houston to Moscow. Shaun travels so well it's almost like time zones don't exist to him, but I'd be comatose for about three days, then grumpy for another two weeks when I had to adjust to the 8-hour time difference. Today's jet lag is mild but persistent, aided by the fact that we got in late last night and spent way too much time in airports yesterday. It's going to take another day or two for all of us to recover.

The good news is that I don't have to see Newark again until August. God willing.

No comments: