Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mommy needs a nap

I think I may have just broken a record. I've been out late two nights in a row. That never happens any more. And, as a result, I've taken a nap at the same time as the kids for two days in a row. And I'm talking about a solid, deep asleep, two-hour nap. It helps that Brandon's teething and super tired and that Shaun's home to pick up my lazy-butt slack.

I've made several friends here, other expat wives with kids, and we get together once a week for a playdate. At this week's playdate we decided we were overdue for a moms' night out, so we remedied that situation on Friday night. First we went to a place called YellowBelly for drinks and dinner--the food was good, and the conversation was great.

Then we moved on to Christian's on George Street where we talked everyone that hadn't already been screeched in into doing it. I've blogged about 'screeching in' before, and if you ever come visit me here in Newfoundland you can expect to be dragged to such an event yourself. Don't worry--once you've had several drinks you'll have a blast, and you won't even care that you can't understand a word the crazy fisherman is saying. *Wink*

After Christian's we moved over to The Well, and we sat around drinking and talking a little more until last call. Then we all hailed a cab home, and I was tucked snug into my bed around the hour of 3 A.M. Shaun didn't even notice when I got home it was so late and he was so dead asleep.

We'd scheduled a babysitter for last night several weeks ago, so Shaun and I decided to head out for dinner and a movie. My goal is to try as many nice restaurants as we can while we're here in St. John's. There are so many good ones that I may be forced to increase 'date night' from one night a month to two nights a month. Last night we went to The Cellar--more great food and great conversation.

Then we decided to head over to the movie theatre (notice the '...re' spelling rather than '...er'--I'm trying to be respectful of the Canadian spelling here). There were quite a few movies we hadn't seen since it's rare that we get out of the house without kids, so I chose He's Just Not That Into You. It was fine, but there wasn't much to it, and Shaun and I were both sleepy--another byproduct of sharing our lives with three little people determined to wear us out--but it was nice just to get out the house with my honey for a little date.

I can't believe the weekend is almost over, but I'm so tired that I'm not sure I could handle any more weekend at this point. I'm going to sleep like a log tonight.

No comments: