Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Poor baby

Just to be clear, the poor baby I'm referring to is me.

I took Brandon back to the doctor's office this morning since he was diagnosed with a double ear infections two weeks ago, and the doctor wanted him to come back so she could make sure that the infections had cleared up. Brandon's had a rough couple of weeks since he's had a cold and these ear infections and has been teething at the same time (as have I if you remember my snot post of a few days ago), but I thought the ear infections would definitely have gone away by now. Guess what? That's right. Those pesky ears are still infected. Apparently these particular bacteria didn't mind that first round of antibiotics at all. They must have loved that yummy strawberry-flavored amoxicillin as much as Brandon did. Now we're on to round two of antibiotics, and we're hoping this kind will do the trick.

Now for the poor baby part. If this darn ear infection doesn't clear up in the next two weeks someone's going to have to forego their trip to Florida! I'm nominating Shaun, but I'm pretty sure he'll be nominating me. Maybe we can draw straws? Maybe the decision will be made for us when I see who's flying on the ticket we actually bought versus whose name is on the ticket we reserved using frequent flier miles. It's actually a toss up... stay home alone in the peace and quiet with the angel baby for a week, or run around Disney World with two excited, squealing preschoolers for a week? I'm torn.

Anyway, it's a little early to be worrying about it right now, I know. But as Shaun would tell you, that's my MO. Plan for every eventuality so that nothing takes me by surprise and everything's cleanly executed. Ask my wedding reception DJ. He said he'd never before DJ'd for a wedding where everything was running five minutes early all day. Right now I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

The worst case wouldn't even really be missing a trip to Florida. The worst case would be if this mother-of-all-ear-infections doesn't go away and my little man has to get tubes put in his ears. (Okay, the true worst case would be the rare but possible skull infection or meningitis that results from an untreated ear infection, but that would be a stretch since we know the ear is infected and we're watching it. I'm not a drama queen.) The ear tubes wouldn't really be a huge deal, but I'd rather not have to face it. I've had to watch one kid come out of anesthesia after a tonsillectomy, and I'd prefer not to have the experience repeated.

We head back to see the doctor again in two weeks, so I'll just have to try not to worry too much about Florida until then. But in the meantime, anyone know where I can get an otoscope? And does anyone know what an ear infection actually looks like anyway?

2 comments:

mommompoppop said...

My poor babies - B and Betsy! No one should have to miss Disney World! Plus Mom-mom and Pop-pop have been waiting to see our little B for so long now!!! :-(
I'm praying it all works out! Love, hugs and kisses to all! xxxxxooooo

Staci said...

Girl you better go to Disny. Both babies had a double ear infection when we went to Texas in October and 30 mins before we left we gave them Tylenol and they did fine