Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

People love to hate on Valentine's Day, but I'm all about another holiday that lets me show my loved ones how much I appreciate them. Who cares if it was a holiday 'invented by the card companies' or if it's become totally commercialized? What hasn't? No one complains about Halloween, and I've never seen a sillier holiday in my life. Little kids dressing up as cartoon characters or witches and begging door-to-door. If you want to talk about waste I can detail the amount of crappy candy my kids got for Halloween--not the good chocolate stuff but all the cheapo candy no one wants to eat themselves.

Valentine's Day doesn't have to be about cards and candy and flowers--though, those are definitely appreciated (especially the candy part). It can just be a day to stop and say 'I love you' to the people I love. Of course I do that every day anyway, but I don't mind having another excuse. It's pretty much impossible to say it too much, right? Especially when a family is as adorable as mine. And I will forever treasure the construction paper hearts my preschoolers cut out and decorate--I know they're supposed to be hearts even if they don't look like hearts!

Happy Valentine's Day! XOXO

No comments: