Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend in review

Whew! Shaun is home, and I finally feel like I can type in complete sentences again. I kind of fell off the face of the Earth last week.

Today marked the sixth day in a row of beautiful weather, and we have spent a ton of time outside again. I'm more of an indoorsy, television-watching, net-surfing, treadmill kind of girl, but one winter in Newfoundland has turned me into a fresh-air freak.

We kicked off our weekend with a trip to Canadian Tire on Saturday morning, and we bought Kyle his very first big-kid bike. We inherited a bicycle for Natalie from a friend a few days ago, and she's been pestering us to get it out and put it together for her, so in the interest of eliminating as much sibling rivalry as possible we needed to get one for Kyle, too. We should have known, however, that Kyle would ride his for two minutes and then quit while Natalie would want to spend forever riding her bike up and down the street.

Yesterday we played in the backyard and also went out to Middle Cove Beach to let the kids throw rocks. I know this sounds dangerous, but it's really the only thing to do at Middle Cove Beach. It's not like you can actually go in the water here--it's freakin' freezing. Brandon wanted to go in anyway, but we talked him out of it.

Today is Victoria Day, so Shaun's home from work, enjoying a three-day weekend. This morning I noticed that it was already 60F at 8:30 AM, so we decided to drive down to Bay Bulls and go on a boat tour. It had to be closer to about 40F out on the water, so the kids wanted to spend most of their time inside the cabin of the boat, but we all had a great time spotting icebergs and puffins anyway. Natalie loved the boat and looking out at the scenery. Kyle liked his lunch (a PB&J sandwich) and peeing in the miniscule boat bathroom. Brandon was pissed that we put him in an enormous life preserver and then wouldn't let him walk around--but he was also appeased by his lunch. It was a fairly typical outing. It reminded me, once again, of why we rarely attempt these ambitious adventurous excursions.

Now, I would never ask for rain, but I desperately need to do laundry, and it's really impossible to talk myself into housework with the weather outside begging to be enjoyed. So, while I won't ask for rain, you might want to ask for a little rain to be sent my way if you care at all that my children will be forced to go naked starting tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mrs. P said...

sounds like you had a fun-packed weekend! chloe would be in rock heaven at middle cove beach. does this beach have sand or just rocks?

mommompoppop said...

Sounds like you should be exhausted! The kids look so happy - with the exclusion of Kyle pulling on the neck of his life preserver . . . I can hear him now. Love to all! xxxxxooooo