Sunday, May 10, 2009

Breakfast in bed

I'm totally in love with any and all holidays now that Kyle has discovered the joy of holidays himself.

I happened to mention the fact that Mother's Day was approaching about two weeks ago, and Kyle has been engaged in a flurry of 'art projects' ever since. Every time I've opened a drawer or a cabinet I've discovered one of these 'art projects' made of construction paper and glue hidden within, and the discovery was followed quickly by, "Mom! You're not allowed to find that until Mother's Day!" To which I replied, "Then maybe you should hide it in the laundry room instead of the kitchen..." Hah. He didn't get the joke.

Kyle would also have entire conversations with himself while he was creating these 'art projects', and I could often hear him muttering about sunflowers and breakfast in bed. He was taking this Mother's Day business very seriously.

While I was out getting high on Aveda yesterday Shaun took the kids out to buy flowers for me, and Kyle couldn't contain himself once I walked in the door--he ran to the dining room, and ran back to me with his arms full of tulips shouting, "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy! These are for you!"

Kyle is trained (Yes, trained--I said it. Like he's a little dog.) to stay in his bedroom in the morning until his clock says 7 A.M., and at exactly that time this morning I heard his bedroom door bust wide open, he ran into my bedroom, and I heard him whisper (as loudly as possible) to his daddy, "What about Mom's breakfast, Dad?" Shaun jumped out of the bed, and I knew I had better stay put. Just a few minutes later my bedroom door came flying open again, and Kyle handed me a stack of 'art projects' that he had created just for me--ones that I apparently hadn't stumbled across while making dinner or putting away dishes. (I call these 'art projects' because that is what Kyle himself calls them. They might be foam sticker creations or construction paper keys or colored pictures of Humpty Dumpty--these are all among his current favorite things to create. I know. Four-year-old boys are random.)

Kyle then flew back down the stairs, and I could hear my three children creating all sorts of mayhem while my husband cooked an amazing omelette that these same children would shortly take credit for. I stayed tucked in my bed, reading a novel.

Then everyone, minus Brandon, came running back up the stairs--Shaun with tray in hand--to deliver my breakfast. Kyle and Natalie bounced up into the bed with me, grinning. I think they were planning to sit there and watch me eat every bite until Shaun reminded them that they were hungry, too, and should go downstairs and join Brandon for breakfast.

I am so proud of these little people who just wanted to make me happy today. Everyone understands the excitement that surrounds Christmas and Halloween and Easter--presents and candy, duh--but I was so proud of the way my big kids totally embraced this holiday that was all about me. They weren't trying to get anything out of it, and there were no presents for them, but Kyle and Natalie were so excited to try to give me a nice day.

I'm also grateful for an amazing husband who can make a mean omelette, goes out of his way to help our kids in all their little scheming, and even did several loads of laundry today just so that I wouldn't have to.

I have had an awesome Mother's Day. Kyle and Natalie and I went to see a children's play this afternoon--which they enjoyed though they spent half of the play being terrified that a knight was going to kill the frog prince, despite my attempts to assure them that this play was supposed to be funny. Then we all went to the kids' favorite restaurant for dinner, and I was amazed at how well-behaved all three kids were. I'm just so proud of my little family today, and I feel so lucky to be sharing my life with each and every one of them.

So lucky that I'm going to wait a few more hours before I start thinking about how my wonderful husband is leaving to go on another business trip tomorrow morning... but that's alright... he did the laundry. Did I mention how smart my husband is in addition to the omelette thing and being wonderful? Smart, smart man.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

mommompoppop said...

Yep! Ya did good, Baby Girl! We love you and miss you all very much! xxxxxooooo