Sunday, January 25, 2009

Late-January funk

Well, it finally hit. That late-January, Christmas-is-over, the-days-are-too-short, it's-a-long-time-until-Spring, and I-still-haven't-managed-to-organize-my-house-within-an-inch-of-my-life funk. Every year at this exact same time I start feeling my winter blues, and this year it's a little more difficult than it was last year. Last year we were in Texas, and in Texas winter means wearing pants and a sweater when you go to the playground--sometimes. Most of the time it's still warm enough without the sweater. If the sun isn't out it's generally lurking right around the corner.

In Newfoundland winter means you don't remember the last time you weren't wearing your fuzzy socks, every child needs at least three layers to leave the house, and you can forget having decent hair by the time you get anywhere with this wind! It also means the sun's presence is fleeting and deceptive. The sun will come out, but don't be fooled into thinking it's any warmer outside. I'm so tired of being cold. The snow and ice really haven't bothered me, but I just want to be warm again!

My winter funk is also brought on by the fact that all my new year ambition has disappeared. Sure, I've crossed a few things off of my to-do list, but there are many more items that I'm still ignoring. Oh well. The beauty of the late-January funk is that there's still a really long time until next year, so there's still hope that the to-do list will be a distant memory by the time December gets here.

All in all, this year's winter blues aren't so bad. We moved here only six months ago, but we've made some great new friends that help make time fly. The lack of sunlight is tough, but I'm thinking there must be some kind of fancy lighting I can buy to trick me into thinking I'm getting some sun, right? Oh yeah, and we're going to Florida in a few weeks! Mickey and Cinderella (not to mention the sunshine, warmer temperatures, shopping, and visiting with family) should be able to lift the winter funk, if nothing else.

No comments: