Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer is coming

How is it possible that June has already arrived? This year has flown by in a flurry of swimming lessons, The Little Gym, preschool, playdates, doctor's visits, vacations and holidays. I have a feeling the summer is going to fly by in the same fashion.

Next week is Kyle's last week of preschool for the school year. Part of me is dreading having all three kids in the house all day every day--I've gotten accustomed to sending Kyle to preschool in the mornings in an attempt to wear him out. The child has endless energy, and he's constantly talking, singing, making strange noises, or just being silly. He wears me out to the point that I've become totally comfortable with paying others to help me use up his daily store of energy. The other part of me is looking forward to avoiding the twice-daily loading of everyone into the carseats just for the two-minute drop-off and pick-up, the twice-daily climb up two flights of stairs with a baby, a toddler, and a preschooler, and the twice-daily shoe-finding-and-putting-on fiasco. I'm also looking forward to letting everyone stay in their jammies until lunchtime if they want--let's be honest, I want to stay in my jammies until lunchtime.

I'm kidding myself if I really think summer will give us all a chance to slow down a little bit. Playgroups will go on, Kyle is signed up for soccer, vacations are scheduled, and I can always count on Shaun to leave me while he goes on a business trip or two. But there's one little advantage to summer that makes it all worth it--a mother's helper. I know a sweet little teenager who has agreed to hang out at my house for a few hours a day to play with my kids for a pittance. Yup, I'm that mom. And you know what? It's going to be worth all the mommy-guilt in the world just to be able to go to the grocery store alone.

No comments: