Saturday, June 6, 2009

Welcome home

My husband has returned, again. And once again the mental energy required to type has returned to me. I believe Shaun had a productive trip, but I don't really know since I rarely pay attention to what it is that he does for a living--it supports my pedicure habit, and that's all that matters.

I feel really bad for my husband when he has to travel. It's very difficult and lonely for him to be away from his family for days on end. Here are some of the reasons he's given me in the past for why traveling is such an ordeal:
  • He has to spend hours alone flying in business class, reading whatever crime/mystery novel he picked up at the airport.
  • He sometimes can find nothing new/interesting to watch on his personal video-on-demand on these lonely flights.
  • He must even resort to napping on these flights when he tires of reading or trying to find a movie to watch.
  • He is forced to scramble around to find dinner/evening plans that often involve visiting friends and/or eating out at restaurants.
  • He has to sleep in a hotel room where there is nothing to do but actually sleep.
  • Someone else is paying for all of the above.
I don't know about anyone else, but as the mother of three small children I have often joked that even jail sounds like a vacation to me. But these business trips my husband speaks of really sound like a vacation.

Welcome home, honey. I hope your trip wasn't too hard on you. By the way, I think the baby has a stinky diaper, if you wouldn't mind taking care of that? I know how much you missed us.

2 comments:

mommompoppop said...

Have you no shame? :-) Love you and miss you! xxxxxooooo

Jenn said...

My husband has to endure the same discomforts on his trips. It makes me feel all the more quilty for not having a perfectly clean house and a gourmet meal waiting on him every night. As a matter of fact, just thinking of his pain is making want to go give him a massage right now.