Saturday, December 27, 2008

A trip to the Johnson Geo Centre

This morning we decided to get the kids out of the house since they hadn't gone anywhere since Tuesday. They didn't mind since they've been keeping themselves busy with all their great new loot, but the lack of a change of scenery was getting to Shaun. I think he wanted to get out of the house for a few hours so that he'd actually have an excuse today for his daily afternoon nap. Today was the first day since Christmas here in Newfoundland that the stores were actually open, so there was no way we were going shopping or to the mall. And since the temperature was about 8F this morning we could not do something outside. We decided to hit the Johnson Geo Centre. We had the place to ourselves, and the kids really enjoyed it. (Note to self: the best time to go somewhere educational is when everyone else in St. John's is probably at the Avalon Mall.) The Geo Centre had an ExxonMobil-sponsored oil and gas exhibit that we've been meaning to check out since we got here, and there was also a really interesting exhibit about the Titanic, which hit the iceberg and sank only about 350 miles from here.

I was impressed by how much there was to see. Much more impressed than I was a few hours later with my lunch at The Keg. Both the food and the service were barely average, and that's pretty sad since we were one of three small groups there. Otherwise, the place was dead. I'll give them another chance since it was lunchtime on a Saturday and we did have three kids with us, but for the most part I was disappointed. I swear my burger was processed. Don't get me wrong--I love a processed burger when I go to McDonald's. I don't love a processed burger when I'm expecting a real one! But the kids were well-behaved, and they were satisfied with their chicken fingers and fries, so that was enough for me.

All-in-all we had a good day, we managed to kill a few hours, and now we've met our educational activity quota for at least the next month.

No comments: