Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Return of SuperDad

While I was enjoying myself in New York City this weekend my husband happily donned his SuperDad cape once again. I'm in no way implying Shaun isn't a terrific dad every day, but anyone who has taken on the sole responsibility of a small child--not to mention three of them--for three days straight, with no relief, knows it takes a little extra preparation and patience to make it through with your sanity intact.

Here's what SuperDad did this weekend:
  • Dropped Kyle and Natalie off at The Little Gym, and managed to pick them up three hours later
  • Went grocery shopping with Brandon
  • Dropped shirts off at the dry cleaners
  • Put the trash out
  • Mowed the lawn
  • Took all three kids to the playground--twice
  • Changed the sheets on Natalie's bed when she had an accident--twice
  • Did laundry--at least twice
  • Made up the bed that Shaun's mom is sleeping in while she's here
  • Made up the bed that Kyle was going to sleep on while Shaun's mom is here
  • Stayed up late at night working on the all the stuff he would have been doing at work if he wasn't at home all day Friday
I was really impressed that my husband managed to accomplish all of the above.

I was also a little amused with Natalie for giving Daddy a taste of what it's like to have to change and wash sheets constantly, but I wish she'd done it in the middle of the night instead of during naptime--nighttime sheet changes are way worse than naptime sheet changes. I'm sure SuperDad would have handled it, but he would have been sleepy and annoyed.

Thanks, Shaun, for giving me a weekend away. And thanks for making it easy for me to go since I always know the kids will be well taken care of. Since you still maintain that staying home with the kids is more fun than going to work every day maybe you won't mind if I leave a little more often? Or how about we try a week next time? ;)

1 comment:

mommompoppop said...

Crazy Girl! I know you know how lucky you are . . . of course, you had a "superdad", too! (except for the laundry thing . . .)