Monday, September 27, 2010

The End of an Era

It was just a few short weeks ago that I thought I was getting my afternoon free time back because Kyle was in school all day again. I had no idea then that it was going to be more trouble than it was worth trying to fit naptime into my days. Between school pick-ups, babysitters, lunch, and ballet lessons I can't figure out where to carve out some time for Brandon's nap. Add to that the facts that (1) Brandon thinks he's four and doesn't want to nap and (2) bedtime is easier when he hasn't had a nap, and you end up with me facing another transition... giving up naptime.

Kyle had a strictly enforced 'rest time' until the day he started Kindergarten. Natalie gave up real naps about a year ago, but she's been happily 'resting' every afternoon since then. So, why is it that I'm considering throwing in the towel on naps now?

As much as I value the sanctity of my afternoon free time I believe I'm finally tired of being a slave to naptime. And for the first time in my stint as a mother my free time isn't necessary since there's no baby in the house. Brandon and Natalie keep each other completely entertained all afternoon long.

I'm entering very strange territory here--the land where I'm not the mother of an infant or toddler who will disolve into an unmanageable terror shortly after lunchtime unless forced to sleep. I've heard from some of my friends that the world actually keeps right on turning between the hours of 1 and 3 PM, but I've not experienced that world in nearly six years. Will stores be open yet not crowded much like they are on weekday mornings? Is it possible that I can take the kids to the playground when it's sunny and, dare I say it, warm? Can we invite friends over to play after lunch?

I have always sworn that my kids would be forced to nap until Kindergarten, but suddenly I'm intrigued by all the afternoon activities I've been avoiding because they would interrupt naptime. It's highly probable that Natalie and Brandon will end up spending what used to be naptime hanging out in the playroom or watching a movie since the weather here will rarely be fit for leaving the house in another couple of weeks, but it's liberating to think we could leave if we wanted to.

I'm going to miss those quiet afternoon hours when I know the kids are tucked into their beds, but maybe it's time to embrace the possibility of all the things we could be doing instead of agonizing over how to fit naptime into our days. Maybe it's time to embrace the idea of having big kids instead of babies.

No comments: