Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I Want My Mommy!

Moms are really quite excellent people to have around--especially when you're sick. They check for fevers, administer Motrin, deliver middle-of-the-night drinks of water, refill humidifiers, offer you anything you want to eat in an attempt to get you to just eat something, and arrange for doctor's appointments (no small feat in an area overwhelmed by H1N1 and lacking a sufficient number of doctors).

Today I did all of the above for all three of my kids, and I did it all while feeling like I'd been run over by a truck.

I could really use my mom right now. I don't keep a working thermometer in the house--I can't ever find them when I need them, I swear they're always wrong, and I can tell with a touch if my babies are running a fever and how bad it is, so what's the point in having one? I discovered the flaw in this reasoning today. I have no idea when I have a fever. I wish my mom was here right now so she could tell me if I'm running a temperature. Then she'd probably bring me a snack, make me drink some juice, administer some Motrin, and tuck me in. Too bad she lives in another country!

*Cough*

*Sneeze*

*Cough*

You know what else my mom would probably do that would be really nice right about now if she wasn't thousands of miles away? She'd take the kids off my hands so I could get a break!

I might be thirty years old, but I still just want my mom when I don't feel well, so I'm trying to be as patient as I can with my own snotty, coughing, whiney little monsters, but can a girl get a break around here?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

We never really get over wanting our mommies when we're sick. Glad that you are all on the mend. Just wait until Shaun gets it...

mommompoppop said...

You know . . . I still want my mommy to look after me when I'm sick, too! We never get over it!